Land North of Hersden
Hume Planning has been promoting the site for a number of years. This has involved;
- Land assembly so that a comprehensive masterplanned expansion to the north of the settlement could be put forward.
- Hersden was a former colliery village and did not feature highly in the districts settlement hierarchy which is dominated by Canterbury, Herne Bay and Whitstable.
- The main justification for growth was based on the need to regenerate the settlement and the proximity of the site to one of the most successful employment estates in the district (Lakesview Business Park). Hume Planning organised Local Exhibitions to look at the potential expansion for 3 possible levels of growth each bringing different levels of community infrastructure.
- This engagement with the local community and local Parish Councils' established the constraints and opportunities and the preferred direction, mix and scale of growth. This would not have been possible without this engagement at grass roots level.
- As well as defining the planning strategy Hume Planning has also project managed a number of technical inputs including Landscape and Visual, Highways, Archaeology, Ecology and masterplanning.
- The whole of the land to the north of Hersden is allocated in the Submission Version of the Canterbury Local Plan for some 500 dwellings. The Local Plan will be the subject of an Examination in the summer/autumn of 2015.