Marina Esplanade, Ramsgate
- The site, despite being a brownfield opportunity, occupies a highly prominent seafront position within the Ramsgate Conservation Area and had a negative planning history before Hume Planning Consultancy became involved.
- The main planning issues related to the building height, flood risk, quality of design and site coverage. The LPA had been initially reluctant to sanction the height protruding above the sloping roadway above.
- Hume Planning engaged with officers and local consultees at the pre-application stage. The scheme was highly contemporary with a rolling roof. The planning application, because of local opposition, was refused permission with Hume Planning successfully winning an appeal when an independent Planning Inspector overturned the earlier refusal.
- The building now completed has been nicknamed "The Wave" and demonstrates that a high quality specification and bespoke design can be achieved in the peripheral areas of East Kent where sales values have been historically lower over recent times. This development scheme was only possible because of the floorspace secured as a result of the site coverage and height put forward. A total of 7 apartments have been granted with some of the 3 bedroom units exceeding 120 sq m.
- It is hoped that this building will contribute to the regeneration of the local area along a busy section of coastal waterfront linking Ramsgate with Broadstairs