Hume Planning Consultancy provides independent town planning advice in a number of specialist areas in order to reduce risk and facilitate the delivery of development.
For sites with immediate planning prospects this will firstly involve the realistic appraisal of the site’s development potential before the later submission and negotiation of planning applications.
On longer term strategic projects this will involve policy research to anticipate how future development pressures and changes to the planning system are likely to influence emerging spatial land use strategies and plan making at the district level. This input from Hume Planning will involve land promotion over the longer term through the Local Plan Process. For further information refer to the Strategic Land Promotion section of this website.
The practice focuses on residential and commercial projects (the latter including retail; employment; telecommunication and leisure and community uses).
A summary of the main areas of specialist input include;
- Appraisal of the development potential of land opportunities
- Planning strategy and promotion of land through the Local Plan
- Preparation of Design & Access and Planning Statements
- Coordination and negotiation of planning submissions which for larger complex schemes will often involve an Environmental Statement (ES) requiring the coordination of input from ecological; tree; flood risk; noise and highway consultants etc
- The prosecution of planning appeals including hearings and inquiries
- Coordinating viability input and Section 106 negotiations including finalising the level of affordable housing provision
- Carrying out of Public Exhibitions and community engagement at the pre-application stage
- Applications for a certificate of lawful use
- Enforcement issues
- Instruction of planning barristers
The company believes it is vitally important that the positive benefits of development are highlighted given the normal level of resistance by opponents to change. However, this does not mean that any development proposal will be acceptable. It is critical that the scheme is of a high quality and logically responds to the constraints and opportunities of the particular site. Hume Planning Consultancy will only commit to projects where there is a strong level of conviction of the merits of the proposal and where the balance between environmental, social and economic considerations have been professionally examined.